The Foundation for Research on Information Technologies in Society (IT’IS), an independent, nonprofit research organization closely associated with the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, is currently seeking applicants for the position
Temporal Interference Stimulation in the Brain: Modeling and Optimization (Software/Support Engineer)
IT’IS, together with its partner organizations Schmid & Partner Engineering AG (SPEAG), ZMT Zurich MedTech AG (ZMT) and TI Solutions AG, forms the Zurich43 alliance. Z43’s dedicated mission is to expand the knowledge and technology for the (i) characterization, optimization, and application of the electromagnetic near-field and (ii) predictive modelling of interactions between physical agents and physiology in complex anatomies, and (iii) medical applications. We are looking to strengthen our biophysical modeling group and have opened several positions.
- Develop a deep understanding of the biophysics underlying temporal interference stimulation (TIS)1, and the state of the art in research and (clinical) applications in this area
- Assist in the construction and simulation of detailed biophysical models of TIS in the brain and central nervous system, including tissue geometry/properties, electrode configurations, EM field propagation and dosimetry
- Support the ongoing development of specialized software for the planning and optimizing TIS in humans
- Support research activities to identify appropriate exposure metrics for successful TIS/neuromodulation
- Additional peripheral activities, e.g., cloud integration of TIS planning and optimization tools, consideration of various aspects of the user interface and user experience, support for tool users
- Clear communication of methods and results to (internal) team members and (external) clients
- University degree (Master or PhD) in (bio)physics, mathematics, medical physics, or biomedical engineering
- Advanced programming competence (Python, C++, Matlab)
- Working knowledge of Docker, HTML, front- and back-end development experience is a plus
- Experience with computational modeling software (e.g., Sim4Life, COMSOL, Ansys)
- Strong sense of responsibility and highest quality standard of work
- Self-motivation, good organizational and communication skills, impeccable attention to detail, friendly personality and team-spirit, sensitivity to customer needs, and ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, work independently in a fast-paced environment, and to meet tight deadlines
- Good to excellent command of the English language (both written and spoken)
- Stimulating environment for innovation at the forefront of our research areas and key technologies
- State-of-the-art laboratories, high-performance computing clusters, and production facilities
- Vibrant and open company culture thanks to a diverse and creative mix of people from across the globe with various backgrounds in physics, electronics, mathematics, biology, etc.
- Colleagues who are smart, competent, and passionate about valuable, cutting-edge work and who strive to meet high ethical standards
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Direct applications are preferred; applications submitted via recruitment agencies are discouraged. Please note that incomplete applications will be disregarded.
Please send your application documents (in English) consisting of motivational letter, tailored CV (max 2 pages), diplomas, transcripts (with grades), work certificates and/or reference letters (if available) to:
Zurich43, Charlotte Roberts, Zeughausstrasse 43, 8004 Zurich, Switzerland, Phone: +41 44 245 96 96, firstname.lastname@example.org
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to Dr. Esra Neufeld.
1 Grossman, N. et al., Noninvasive Deep Brain Stimulation via Temporally Interfering Electric Fields. Cell 169, 1029-1041.e16 (2017).