The Foundation for Research on Information Technologies in Society (IT’IS), an independent, nonprofit research organization closely associated with the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, is currently seeking applicants for the position
Biophysical Modeling and Optimization of EM Stimulation for Neurotherapeutics (Post-Doc, PhD Student or Research Engineer)
IT’IS, together with its partner organizations Schmid & Partner Engineering AG (SPEAG), ZMT Zurich MedTech AG (ZMT) and TI Solutions AG, forms the Zurich43 alliance. Z43’s dedicated mission is to expand the knowledge and technology for the (i) characterization, optimization, and application of the electromagnetic near-field and (ii) predictive modelling of interactions between physical agents and physiology in complex anatomies, and (iii) medical applications. We are looking to strengthen our biophysical modeling group and have opened several positions.
- Create accurate biophysical models using multi-model image data, including multiple tissue types, heterogeneous dielectric property maps and anisotropic conductivities
- Explore the EM field distributions resulting from neurostimulation applied to various organ systems based on detailed finite element simulations
- Use optimization techniques to inform the design of effective neurostimulation devices and novel stimulation strategies (e.g., stimulation parameters, multipolar electrode activations, pulse shape, time-dependent stimulation)
- Support additional topics, e.g., uncertainty assessment, validation, image-based modeling, identification of appropriate dosimetric quantities, safety evaluation
- Conduct original, independent research that includes the development of neurostimulation simulation technologies, software tools, and platforms
- Proactively seek and pursue collaboration opportunities
- University degree (Master or PhD) in (bio)physics, mathematics, medical physics, or biomedical engineering
- Scientific programming competence (Python, C++, Matlab)
- Working knowledge of neuroscience-related analytical tools (e.g., modeling, image processing, data analytics) is a plus
- Strong sense of responsibility and highest quality standard of work
- Self-motivation, good organizational and communication skills, impeccable attention to detail, friendly personality and team-spirit, sensitivity to customer needs, and ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, work independently in a fast-paced environment, and to meet tight deadlines
- Good to excellent command of the English language (both written and spoken)
- Stimulating environment for innovation at the forefront of our research areas and key technologies
- State-of-the-art laboratories, high-performance computing clusters, and production facilities
- Vibrant and open company culture thanks to a diverse and creative mix of people from across the globe with various backgrounds in physics, electronics, mathematics, biology, etc.
- Colleagues who are smart, competent, and passionate about valuable, cutting-edge work and who strive to meet high ethical standards
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Direct applications are preferred; applications submitted via recruitment agencies are discouraged. Please note that incomplete applications will be disregarded.
Please send your application documents (in English) consisting of motivational letter, tailored CV (max 2 pages), diplomas, transcripts (with grades), work certificates and/or reference letters (if available) to:
Zurich43, Charlotte Roberts, Zeughausstrasse 43, 8004 Zurich, Switzerland, Phone: +41 44 245 96 96, email@example.com
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to Dr. Esra Neufeld.